What to Look For When Choosing a Daycare
Day Care is an alternative for parents or guardians who are working or attending school and require a dedicated and committed staff to monitor and supervise their kid(s).
When looking for a daycare, you need to educate yourself on what is best for you and your child. You can find out information from our website, families currently enrolled at the centre, or anyone who has previously used the services.
Most important is that you should schedule a tour of the facility. Inspect the areas where your child will play, eat and interact with other children. You want your child and yourself to be comfortable in the daycare environment.
Some factors that might be important to you are location, hours, cost and reputation.
On your initial visit
You should come prepared with a list of questions that are pertinent to your child’s and family’s needs.
What is the center’s philosophy, and does it align with your child’s and family’s requirements?
HERE ARE SOME THINGS TO LOOK FOR WHEN VISITING THE CENTER
- Is the center bright, clean and cheerful?
- Are the furnishings and equipment child size?
- Are there a variety of toys and are they developmentally appropriate?
- Is there a playground?
- Are there planned activities and outings?
- Is the center licensed by Alberta Children Services and are all the necessary reports posted?
- Is the center accredited? Ensure your child will be supervised by a daycare institution that is recognized as a premier facility in the province of Alberta.
- If snacks and lunches are provided, does it follow Canada’s Food Guide? A healthy and balanced diet is important for cognitive and physical growth in a child and should be highly considered before choosing daycare.
- The staff are certified and have a current Criminal Record Checks and First Aid certification. Daycare staff will be with your child at all hours of the day, so you should ensure that if an emergency takes place, you will be reassured your child will be in good hands.
- Are there consistent caregivers that look after my child daily?
- Take the time to observe that the staff are warm, caring and engaged with the children.
- That you can communicate comfortably with staff and management, your relationship with daycare attendants is equally as important as your child’s relationship with the attendants. You want to be sure you can openly communicate any questions, comments or concerns without judgement and receive authentic & honest feedback on your child, their behaviours and their growth while in daycare.
When you have completed your tour, you should take the time to reflect on your visit. Trust your gut as you know best when something feels right or wrong.
At It’s All About Kids Day Care, our Mission is to provide exceptional quality childcare for all Albertans. Please contact us today with any questions, comments or concerns about your current daycare situation, or if you’re considering It’s All About Kids Day Care to supervise your children. We can’t wait to hear from you!